Elder Wirthlin


Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin passed away last night. I read the news on the LDS church website this morning and got tears in my eyes.

A person certainly shouldn't have "favorite" apostles, but I think it's a real blessing how different leaders connect with different church members. It's a testimony to me that Heavenly Father is making sure we get the precise kind of guidance we need. I felt a real kindship with Neal A. Maxwell, and when he passed away I saw Elder Wirthlin with new eyes. He wasn't an especially animated or dynamic speaker, but his talks were always so beautifully written and they always reached me in a very unique and special way.

One talk that has stayed with me: his General Conference talk in April of 2005, titled "The Virtue of Kindness." I have never forgotten what he said:

“But,” you ask, “what if people are rude?”
Love them.
“If they are obnoxious?”
Love them.
“But what if they offend? Surely I must do something then?”
Love them.
“Wayward?”
The answer is the same. Be kind. Love them.

It made such an impression on me, someone who needs to learn greater kindness. It was a personal turning point brought about by just a string of simple words. I am grateful for that.

I will miss you Elder Wirthlin! I hope you don't have to wait long to be with your sweetheart again.

Comments

  1. That was really sweet. I am glad you posted this. I hadnt heard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved his talk on hope in this last General Conference, he had such a great way of saying things in a simple way. I loved him, too! I really felt the same way that you did.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment