Babies Get Big, Dude

This is a break from my regularly scheduled travel blog (did you think you were done hearing about my trip?) to reflect on the freaking passage of time.

Sam, my 18 year old nephew, attended the LDS temple for his first time yesterday. I was not there because I live far, far away and I have decided to refrain from driving anywhere further than two miles. Forever and ever.

What I want to say is that this was YESTERDAY.

The relationship dynamic represented in this picture remains the same.
I look at teenagers and 20 year olds and I feel like grabbing them and shaking them and telling them YOU DON'T KNOW. You don't know how baffled you will be that the time just...passed. Time that's not coming back.



This kid, no more braces, hair cut, wearing the heck out of a real-life grown-up man suit, is just...walking out there, into the world, to decide and to think and to do for himself.

I want to tell him that he's going to be OK, even though he would roll his eyes at the thought of needing anything so silly as reassurance. He will be OK, though.

And now I'm going to go snuggle my children and try to explain why watching cartoons on the bed with them is making me cry.

Comments