Get Up. Again.

I don't need everybody to be as big a mess as I am. It is nice, though, to be reminded you're not the only one. Now and again.

I've never done fad diets, I just can't take them. I have to have butter, and bread, and bacon, and chocolate. I HAVE to. But I have watched what I eat on and off since I was 12 years old. I've lost and gained the same 20 pounds, too.

That doesn't sound like something to be proud of, but I am still proud of it. Do you know why? Because as much as I love food (SO MUCH), I haven't been gaining and losing the same 30 , or 50,or 70 pounds. (There's not that much distance between there, and where I am).

For me, the difference has been Trying Again.

I have been Failing and Trying Again at so many things, for so long. It's the theme of my life. After being really good at beating myself up I've become pretty good at shrugging my shoulders and starting over where I am.

At the last LDS conference there was a talk that blew my socks off. It was about teaching your children, but the point he was making had even larger implications - that it's never too soon or too late to try again. Or to start trying, period.

What I got from it: there's no point, ever, that your future, your character or your goals are unsalvageable. No point. Ever.

So. If you climb that hill a million times, it's what you're supposed to be doing. There's no magic pill you haven't discovered yet. It is the struggle.

This is obviously not just about weight loss. It's just the battle I'm willing to talk about today. 

It's up!
It's down!
Up!
Down!
I just really love this one.



Comments