Snow Day and Seven Brides

Last Monday, for the first time in 61 years, Iron County canceled school because of snow. That's 1955, if you're counting. Because we're tough, Bs!

There were many pictures across social media, but I know your life isn't complete unless you see mine.



We pretty much had an awesome sounding day. Hot chocolate. Chocolate chip cookies. Snow play.

Most importantly, I decided to introduce my daughters to a defining movie from my childhood, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

The joy in my heart when I walked in on Claire, grinning from ear to ear at the barn raising dance. I really can't tell you.



If you're not a "Seven Brides" fan or you don't want to watch the movie (what is wrong with you), at least YouTube the barn raising dance scene. I don't know how anyone can watch it without loving everything so much.

Now that I have some life experience, I'm actually horrified by Adam, the male protagonist and romantic lead. Seriously, that guy is an ass. I'm watching this with my sweet 5 and 7 year old girls and I'm trying to talk them through it. "That behavior," I say, "is not OK. That's not how men should treat women." Then Claire looks at me. "Adam is bad," she says, watching for my approval.

Then I'm like, "Adam is a human being, and he has all kinds of things to learn about life. He learns some important lessons in the end."

Oh my gosh! I'm one of those moms that packs tofu and hummus in her kids' lunch! And subscribes to weird, new-age parenting trends!

Or maybe it's just an outdated movie and my kids will be just fine.

Please let it be (B).


Comments