The Unexpected Shame of a Luxury Car

I’m just going to throw this out there and clear the air. We bought a Bayerisch Motoren Werke. If you’re like me you don’t know what in the world that means.

It’s a BMW.


That’s right. We traded our 2001 Saturn SL2, no air conditioning, no power windows, torn fabric seats, for a gol-darn BMW.

It’s not like we took things gradually, you know? Maybe started with a nice Nissan, then maybe a Toyota, and then golly gee maybe we should try one of those nice luxury cars.

It was more like BOOM. You are now being ushered from the depths of car hell to the furthest reaches of automotive celestial bliss. For Tyler it’s about the engine. Many times in the last week my stomach has dropped, my skin stretching across my face, because of the quick acceleration (it’s not a matter of speeding, rather, how fast you reach the limit).

For me, it’s the leather. It smells so good. Like riding around in a five star hotel.

I’m terrified of it, though. Terrified I’m going to crash it. Or scratch it. Or breathe on it. This car is not going to be a peppy little buddy. More like a rich, distant uncle around whom I am constantly uncomfortable.

Mind you, we are not Bill Gates. We saved for a long time and bought a car that was lovingly cared for and traded in for a brand new Mercedes.

My first thought when I saw it was “I feel so sorry for this guy’s kids.” I can guarantee they were not allowed within 15 feet of it.

How do I know that? Pretty much the dynamic being established around here.

Cute, yes. Messy?

Yes. (Shoulders hunched, spirit broken).



Comments

  1. 15 And inasmuch as ye do these things with thanksgiving, with cheerful hearts and countenances, not with much laughter, for this is sin, but with a glad heart and a cheerful countenance—

    16 Verily I say, that inasmuch as ye do this, the fulness of the earth is yours, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and that which climbeth upon the trees and walketh upon the earth;

    There of critics of the "prosperity gospel"; however, I take God at his word. For me, this includes BMWs, congratulations on a great investments, a vehicle of great delight, and one of the "ultimate driving machines" on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What an amazing purchase. A close friend of mine used to drive a similar BMW. There were so many things about the vehicle that were the picture of luxury. Its leather smelled amazing, just like yours. It also was the smoothest ride I ever experienced in my life. All other vehicles felt bumpy and rough in comparison. Great find!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment