Sweet Little Moments

I checked this book out from the library titled "May I Have the First Dance?"


It's fine. Can you see how the illustrations are a little freaky? But here's the thing. The subject is a dad dancing with a daughter and how fast it all goes and on and on. So every time I read it to my kids they're looking at me like "what is wrong with you?" because I'm holding back tears.

SO. It is going fast. So fast. Inspired by the book with the really scary looking girl being thrown in the air, I am logging some little moments I don't want to forget.

(1) Winter and library books. My girls, complaining that it's cold, drag the ottoman over to put their feet in front of the fire and read a book together.

I'm dead.


(2) My boys want to "help" me make cookies, code for "they want to stand in the middle of the kitchen, make it impossible for me to move around, stick their fingers into the dough every chance they get, and fight over who gets to hold the mixer."

It does look sweet in the photo, I suppose. And don't worry, I'm not going to bring these cookies to any of you.

I did have them wash their hands.
(3) Truman insists, insists, that he is not tired and does not want to go upstairs and take a nap. He is tired, and he does want to take a nap. He just wants to do it on me.

How do we enjoy every moment with them when all we want is a shower and a clean kitchen?
These memories are going to be so bittersweet, you guys! Why won't they leave me alone? Why do they ever have to leave me? Why are they so sweet? Why are they so loud? WHY IS MOTHERHOOD SO MANY FEELINGS?

There is a very good chance I need to take a nap today.

Comments