Cartoons Before Bed, A Dignified Stillman Family Tradition

I really wanted a better picture to use for this post. It's not good. Of any of us.


Moving on. Every night before bedtime we all watch a cartoon. I think it started with Phineas and Ferb long, long ago, and then we just kept going. I'm going to try to list all the series here.

What I have discovered (that I think Tyler already knew) is that there are a lot of really good animated shows out there. Well written, funny, developed characters...stuff adults like! And also, animated! So kids!

K, here are as many as I can remember.

Phineas and Ferb (the ultimate audience favorite)
Trollhunters (Toby!)
Niko and the Sword of Light (took a while, but funny)
The Garden Wall (strange and delightful)
The Legend of Kora
Voltron
Justice League (Romance!)
Justice League Unlimited (Also romance!)
Young Justice League (Romance again!)
Adventuretime (Another audience favorite)
Samurai Jack (My personal favorite)

Shows that we are ashamed to have watched:

Thundercats (I would strangle Snarf without batting an eye)
He-Man

Current Show:

The Last Airbender (Loving it)

Some observations. As previously mentioned, these are all really, really good TV. There really are no words for how much I love Samurai Jack.

Another thing is that some cartoons have much to teach us about accepting same-gender romance. Ah, but we must teach our kids sometime, right? That this is the world we live in? That people will preach their beliefs to us just like we preach ours?

See? Cartoons. Deeper than you thought.

Comments