Adulting: A Slog, But Not Rocket Science

We had an eventful weekend. My nephew Josh, or Joshie Wormeson, as my kids inexplicably call him, returned from his mission* Wednesday. We went to hear him speak in sacrament meeting.

This is the only picture I got of him, my boys would not stop hounding me to hang out with him. Of course, when someone gets back from two years away everyone wants to hang out with them. A bit overwhelming, I imagine.

That's Josh in the back with the boys, standing behind Sam's luscious, luscious hair.
Oh, his eyes were glazed. As I left I told him he seemed shell-shocked and he responded that he felt overwhelmed by the idea of adulthood and what was supposed to come next.

It made me think about my big house with its big yard and the mortgage that needs to be paid and the grout that needs to be scrubbed and the children that need to be raised and I thought "Wow. This IS overwhelming."

But I told him, adulthood is not a tidal wave, coming all at once and drowning you. It's more like quicksand. I kid!

I did say that all you have to do is take one step at a time, because that's how it happens. Before you know it you've built a life with obligations and people who depend on you and you're just...doing it, and in my experience it's not so bad. It's not all drowning. There are movies and late night conversations and inside jokes and learning, learning, learning.

Joshie! You'll be fine! Love Aunt Deb.

Our Lowe cousin Ben turned 8!

This birthday party brought to you by (1) Pinterest and (2) my sister Kristine's inability to cut herself some slack in ANY WAY.


Also, new cousins! Pippa James Stillman, BOOM.
* His mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, in case you're wondering.

Comments