What Motherhood Has Made of Me

A common theme of this blog - I would say the theme of this blog has been motherhood. Because as I have learned, dwelt on, discussed, laughed and complained about, motherhood is hard. Like, really, really hard. Maybe it's not for others. But it has been for me. 

Last night, though, my little family laid on the bed and watched videos of the kids when they were younger. Oh my gosh, they were so cute. Inevitably, since Tyler is usually the one that remembers to take videos, I was in several of them. In most of them I'm in pajamas or a bathrobe. No makeup, hair pulled back, looking all kinds of tired.

But you know what I else I noticed? Maybe I'm not too bad of a mother. I realized it hasn't all been yelling or complaining or crying, even though I talk about those things because I need to. So many moments I have completely forgotten, the little funny things the kids did that Tyler and I laughed over. The teasing, the explaining, the snuggles, their kindnesses to each other, the marvel of watching them learn.

Here is a post, then, about how I like motherhood and how much it has taught me. Granted, much of my growth has been because (1) something was beaten out of me or (2) something was beaten into me. Motherhood did it, and I can't help it, I like what I have become. More patient. More accepting. Much, much more humble. A harder worker. Better at serving. Tyler and I have gotten better at communicating. I have a better sense of who I am and what I believe. That's the tip of the iceberg.

Most of all, I love them. I just love these little beings. Each one of them utterly unique and irreplaceable. Lucky, lucky, lucky me.














Comments