I Am the Thing I Always Disdained

Hopefully that title just reels you in.  Because this is a post about a dog.

I find that dogs seem to be dividing people into two camps. Those who consider the dog to be their child, and those who feel contempt for those who consider their dog to be their child.

I wouldn't say I felt contempt for dog-childers, but I just did not get it. I was always very clear about my feelings for dogs. I wanted what was best for every dog, but I did not want their spit on me. That seemed perfectly reasonable. 



It is reasonable! But my kids wanted a dog! So somehow I wanted a dog. My entire decision-making process will be utterly scrapped if there is something that will fill their faces with pure joy. (I'm pretty sure giving your kids absolutely anything you can doesn't make you a good mother. It makes you more like that sad, old giving stump in Shel Silverstein's "The Giving Tree," and that kid did not turn out well). BESIDE THE POINT.



Tyler did his research and found a small, low-shedding, low-barking breed with cute, twitchy little ears and adorable scrunched up faces. Now my mom, sisters and brothers think I've been invaded by Body Snatchers. My kids say I love her more than them.

 

I mean, I wouldn't say that, exactly. But how am I supposed to not fawn over her when she never talks back, never argues, and gives me snuggles? To be frank, my kids are just not getting it done right now. Until they produce me some grandkids it's going to be a toss-up.

She's asleep sitting up. How are you not in LOVE with her?































Comments