Wherein Debra, a 46 year old Stay-at-Home-Mom, Passes the Utah Bar Exam

If you didn't know, I took the Utah bar exam in February. 

It was the first year since 2008 that I had no children at home for a significant chunk of time, so I did it. I completed the application process (not a quick process) and studied for the exam (also, not a quick process).

Surrounded by a tiny fraction of the information I was trying to memorize

I took it in February and was so glad to be finished studying that I wasn't even thinking about passing.

This Very Healthy Attitude lasted until the beginning of April, when I started obsessively refreshing my email to see if I had anything from the bar admissions office. Last night while I was sitting there watching Gravity Falls with my kids, a dog and two little boys laying across me, I checked my e-mail yet again and saw this.

After about seven heart pounding seconds where I just didn't think I could handle knowing, I opened it quickly and saw these words.


Pleased to inform you. Sweeter words have never been written. 

You guys, I worked so hard to pass the Florida bar. There were tears and work and classes and tears and work.

But this was even sweeter. Because I hadn't just finished law school, I hadn't taken a prep course, I hadn't had 12 hours a day every day to completely devote myself to passing this exam.

I had to do carpool, dinner, piano, Christmas (oh my gosh a whole world unto itself). I had to take care of my kids, my marriage, my dog, my house.

And somehow, somehow, I did it.

What does it mean, do you ask? What will I do?

For now, I just want to enjoy the fact that I accomplished something that felt almost impossible. 

Comments

Post a Comment