HUMANS


A couple of media experiences have gotten me thinking.

(1) I just finished a biography about Catherine the Great and there's a whole section on serfdom in Russia. Ugh. I mean, seriously. Just the absolute worst.

(2) My kids and I have also been obsessed with the musical Hamilton since we watched it on Disney+ on July 4th, and there's been a lot of controversy about the revering the founding fathers because some were slave owners.

Ugh. I don't know how people get to those places. (Don't get me started on the whole question of "what would I have done if born into a society where slavery was institutional and accepted" because that is a rabbit hole). I go down those sometimes.

One thing that lifts me is to think of the goodness, the greatness, of which humans are capable.

Examples, you ask?

Disability chairs. I mean, COME ON! Humans, am I right? 



Eco skyscrapers. HUMANS!

Music, poetry, art. HUMANS.
Every program in the world that helps people, animals, the environment? Humans did that.


When we fail we fail hard, yes, but I still love you, humans - because when you're at your best you're this close to being divine.



Comments